Dabney S. Lancaster Community College’s Forestry Team brought home the winning trophy and a new Stihl 461 chainsaw, placing well enough in several events to win the 2015 John G. Palmer Intercollegiate Woodsman's Team Competition held October 10 at the Pisgah National Forest in western North Carolina, the site of the first forestry school started by Gifford Pinchot. Seven forestry schools competed in the event, which was hosted by Haywood Community College.
“The crowd of spectators was outstanding,” noted Scott Reigel, DSLCC Forest Management Technology program lead. “Some of the team members’ families traveled long distances to support us.” Reigel said that all of the team members made outstanding efforts, and he particularly thanked Trevor Saville, a DSLCC graduate who served as a coach, as well as Lucas Barber, also a DSLCC graduate, who assisted. Joe Thacker, interim program head, serves as advisor to the team.
“This was a very tough competition – earning our victory was difficult,” noted Reigel.
- Log Roll -- Andrew Webster, Callie Hubbard, Nathan Burdette and Mitchell Hullett, first place
- Orienteering – Mitchell Hullett, first; Ali Oliver, third
- Horizontal Speed Chop (women) – Ali Oliver, second
- Water Boil- Grayson Coleman and Dan Ricotta, first
- Pulpwood Toss for Accuracy -- Andrew Webster, Grayson Coleman, Hannah Dunaway, Trevor Quantz, Brent Maccentelli and Dan Ricotta, first place
- Axe Throw (women) – Ali Oliver, fourth
- Axe Throw (men)- Trevor Quantz, second
- Pole Fell -- Mitchell Hullett and Grayson Coleman, second
- Pole Climb (women) – Sadie Floyd, third
- Pole Climb (men) – Dan Ricotta, first
- Chainsaw (women) – Callie Hubbard, first
- Chainsaw (men) -- Brent Maccentelli, fourth
- Standing Block -- Mitchell Hullett, fourth
- Crosscut (women) -- Ali Oliver and Megan Tomlin, first
- Crosscut (men and women) -- Grayson Coleman and Callie Hubbard, first
- Single Buck – Andrew Webster, first, and Mitchell Hullett, second
- Bolt Split (male) -- Grayson Coleman, third
- Horizontal (male) Speed Chop -- Mitchell Hullett, fourth.
For more information about the DSLCC Forestry Program, contact Thacker at (540) 863-2893 or email email@example.com.