How to Apply to DSLCC
For degree or certificate seeking students:
- Submit a completed Application for Admission – online version, including completed state residency information.
- Download a printable Application for Admission. THERE IS NO FEE TO APPLY TO DSLCC. See a complete list of programs and their codes.
- Forward official transcripts from all high schools, colleges and universities attended. High school transcripts may not be required if the record is over ten years old or the student has completed twenty semester hours (or the equivalent) at a regionally accredited college or university. Waiver of the high school transcript must be approved by the registrar.
- Complete a placement test or provide satisfactory SAT/ACT scores. (For more information, see SAT/ACT Scores.) The DSLCC placement test may not be required if you have completed appropriate English and mathematics courses at a regionally accredited college or university. Waiver of the placement test may be approved by an advisor in Student Services.
For non-degree or non-certificate seeking students:
- Submit a completed Application for Admission, including completed state residency information. Download the printable Application for Admission for non-degree/non-certificate seeking students.
- Placement tests may be required for certain courses. Check with the Office of Student Services for more information.
What you will need:
Dabney S. Lancaster Community College has open admissions for most programs. You can be admitted if you:
- Have a high school diploma/its equivalent, OR
- Are at least 18 years of age and able to benefit from one of our programs
Admissions and Onboard Process for New Students
- Identify your program or pathway of choice.
- Complete the DSLCC Application for Admission. Print the last page of your application, as it lists your student ID number, username, and temporary password.
For assistance applying to DSLCC, contact Student Services at (540) 863-2820
We’ve created a step-by-step guide to help you prepare for the first stay for classes.
- Review your Welcome Email and Acceptance Letter from DSLCC's Admissions Office.
- Login to your myDabney account and EAB Navigate. You will be able to access your student Gmail account in myDabney.
- Complete the FAFSA to help pay for classes.
- Submit official high school/college transcripts, as well as AP, IB, or CLEP score reports, to DSLCC Student Services.
- Take the Virginia Placement Test in English and Math (if needed). You may be exempt from the VPT based on multiple measures (e.g. SAT, ACT, high school GPA, GED).
- Complete your financial aid "to-do" list in SIS. From myDabney, click on
- the SIS icon and then,
- click on the Student Center link, and
- view your outstanding "to-do" list items.
- Make your appointment to meet with an academic advisor – (540) 863-2820 on the Clifton Forge campus or (540) 261-1211 at the Rockbridge Regional Center in Buena Vista.
- Complete any additional program-specific admissions requirements.
- Check your tuition balance and pay your tuition by the deadline. Check your student account for Make sure you do not owe a tuition balance after all financial aid and/or scholarships have been applied.
- Get your student ID card made in the DSLCC Library.
- Register for New Student Orientation. Call (540) 863-2820 to register.
- Get your textbooks at the DSLCC Bookstore the week before classes begin.
- Attend class!
If you are applying for Financial Aid, be sure to include your Social Security number (SSN) on your application. The SSN is required on your application in order to qualify for Financial Aid.
An academic advisor will be available by appointment after you have been admitted to the College. The academic advisor will discuss your educational interests, help you plan a specific curriculum or program at the College and schedule appropriate courses to meet your educational goals. You may be required to submit additional information for admission to a specific program or curriculum.