Pharmacy Technicians (PhTs) perform clinical and administrative tasks in retail, hospital, home health, mail order and institutional pharmacies.
When you complete PhT training and achieve a passing score on the national Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE), you are equipped with the foundation and skills needed in modern pharmacy settings, including:
- Effective client and patient communication
- Medical terminology as relates to the pharmacy
- Pharmacy calculations and math
- Dosage forms and basic compounding guidelines
- Accurate reading and interpreting prescriptions
- Basic biopharmaceuticals & review of “Routes and Formulations”
- Defining drugs by generic & brand names
- Drug classifications and the “top 200 Drug Review
- Aseptic technique and handling of sterile products
- Understanding and executing directions from pharmacy supervisors
Trainee Requirement Details
Coursework includes up to 50 hours of training, including both lecture and hands-on labs. An additional externship experience of up to 80 hours in a real-world environment is strongly recommended, although not required. Trainees must be at least 18 years of age.
FastForward Financial Assistance Funding
Qualifying Virginia residents may be eligible for FastForward financial assistance, which could reduce the cost of tuition by two-thirds.