DSLCC advisors work with you to help you make informed decisions regarding your vocational and educational plans. They explain curriculum requirements, aid in course selection, and will help register you for the upcoming semester. You can discuss academic problems and concerns in confidence.
DSLCC Academic Advisors help students:
- select the right courses for degree or certificate programs,
- develop an academic or career plan,
- plan for transfer to a four-year college or university,
- transition to your career field,
- deal with issues and concerns related to student success.
DSLCC Career Coach
DSLCC partners with local school divisions in Alleghany, Bath and Rockbridge County, as well as the cities of Covington and Buena Vista, to provide career coaching services in area high schools. Career Coaches provide individual and small group career assessments to assist students in defining pathways based on 16 career clusters.
- Individual and small group career assessment
- Career Exploration – informational interviews, job shadowing, internships, & interacting with local business and industry
- Developing and updating career plans
- Guidance on programs of study – certifications, career & technical centers, community colleges, & four-year colleges and universities
- Help with the college & financial aid application processes
- Mock interviewing skills and resume & cover letter development
- Soft Skills – communication, problem solving, work ethic, time management and self-awareness
Areas of Focus
While DSLCC Career Coaches may provide services to all high school students, their primary focus is on serving the middle majority students – 2.0 – 3.0 GPA first generation, ESL, and the economically disadvantaged.
To speak with an Academic Advisor, please contact Student Services at (540) 863-2820.