Smarthinking is an online tutoring service that is available through Blackboard for all DSLCC students.
The following information will assist you in connecting with a tutor in a variety of courses and subjects.
Math – Science – Business – Writing – Nursing
- Connect With a Tutor and interact in real time.
- Submit your Writing for any class to our Online Writing Lab.
- Submit a Question and receive a reply from a tutor.
Follow these steps to get started
- Log in to Blackboard
- Click into any of your DSLCC courses
- Click the Course Tools link
- Click the Smarthinking link to be taken directly into your account
Login to your Smarthinking account anytime you think you may need help.
A quick overview on how to use Smarthinking
Once you are logged in, you will find various tabs along the top:
- Reserved Sessions – contains a list of all sessions you have scheduled in advance using “Scheduled Tutoring”
- Personal Archive – contains transcripts of your online sessions, copies of responses to questions you have submitted, and reviews/critiques of papers and essays submitted to the Writing Center
- Manage Account – provides access to your Smarthinking profile where you can change your password or email address, and information about your use of Smarthinking
- Customer Service – provides access to information that will help you solve any problems that arise when you are using Smarthinking
Academic Resources – below the red tabs you will see Academic Resources. This provides access to the Smarthinking Writer’s and ESL Writer’s Handbooks, an Accounting Glossary, a Study Guide Handbook, and links to other sites that provide support for students studying mathematics.
In the center of the screen, your options for tutoring are displayed:
Writing Center is used to send an essay or paper draft to a tutor for review. Smarthinking strives to return Essays within 24 hours.
Drop In Tutoring is used when you want live tutoring right away. Simply click on your subject to be connected to a tutor.
Scheduled Tutoring is used when you want to make an appointment for future tutoring. If you know that you cannot make a scheduled session, you MUST CANCEL IT WITHIN 48 HOURS OF THE APPOINTMENT TIME IN ORDER TO NOT BE CHARGED FOR IT
Offline Questions is used when you don’t have time for a live session. A tutor will respond usually within 24 hours.
Technology Requirements and Troubleshooting
- Disable all popup blockers
- Refer to our full list of the most up to date settings here.
Need help using Smarthinking? Click on the Smarthinking Student Handbook found under the Academic Resources! You may also contact Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org