Dual Enrollment Information for Students and Parents
Requirements of Students and Parents
- Students must first apply to DSLCC. After your application is complete, you will be given a 7-digit EMPL ID number. This is your VCCS/DSLCC ID number and you will need to provide it on numerous occasions over the course of your time as a student in the VCCS.
- Take the Virginia Placement Test in English and Math. DSLCC works closely with high school guidance counselors to establish testing dates at each high school on an annual basis. However, students may take the VPT on either our main campus located in Clifton Forge, Virginia or at the Rockbridge Regional Center located in Buena Vista, Virginia during normal testing hours. Students must successfully complete VPT testing before they can be enrolled in a dual enrollment course.
- Students may be exempt from taking the VPT if they have obtained acceptable scores on the SAT, PSAT, ACT, or Algebra I SOL. Students and/or parents are responsible for ensuring that their high school guidance counselor and the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator are aware of any such exemption scores.
- Students and parents MUST submit the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Permission Form to their high school guidance counselor by the assigned date. Failure to do so may result in the inability to take dual enrollment courses for that academic year.
- Students are expected to read the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Welcome Letter before the first official day of class.
- Students are responsible for speaking with their high school guidance counselor about dual enrollment opportunities that exist at their home high school or technical center. Also, DSLCC Academic Advisors are available to speak with students about dual/concurrent enrollment opportunities.
- Students interested in taking classes on DSLCC’s campus during school hours must first seek approval from their guidance counselor and school principal. Students looking to take courses on DSLCC’s main campus can call (540) 863-2820. Students looking to take courses at the Rockbridge Regional Center should call (540) 261-1211.
It is important that students and parents review the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Handbook before the start of each semester. The handbook contains important information and documents describing, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Student Conduct and Expectations
- Discipline, Academic Honesty, and Attendance
- Inclement Weather Policy
- Disability Support Services
- Library and Online Tutoring Services
- Access to DSLCC Student Email
- DSLCC Safety and Security
- DSLCC Career Coaches
For more information on DSLCC’s Dual Enrollment Program, contact Joe Hagy, Dual Enrollment Coordinator, 540-863-2925, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like DSLCC Dual Enrollment on Facebook