Associate of Arts & Sciences in Science
The Science program represents the first two years of a challenging and intensive pursuit for a four-year college or university degree in one of the many natural sciences.In this program, a student will have the opportunity to engage in the study of initial courses in mathematics and sciences which lead to the more advanced third and fourth year courses to be taken when the student transfers into the third year of a four-year college or university.Also, during the first two years, the student will complete humanities and social science requirements and electives, freeing up his/her final two years for intensive study in a science major. This program takes four semesters or two years of full time study to complete.
Studentsin this program may wish to pursue a major in one of the following fields when they transfer to a four-year college or university:
- Environmental Protection
- Physical Therapy
Advantages for studentswho complete the Associate of Arts andSciences Degree and transfer to a four (4)-year state college or university are:
- Eligible for the many Guaranteed Admissions Agreement that the Virginia Community College System haswith a wide variety of four-year colleges anduniversities
- Given priority over those students who have not ompleted their AA&S Degree
- Considered to have met the lower-division general-education requirements of the state four (4)-year college or university to which they may transfer
- Considered to have attained junior standing at the state four (4) year college or university to which they may transfer
- To the extent possible, given the same opportunities in areas suchas course selection, registration, access to campus housing and financial aid as those students who attended their freshman and sophomore years
- Eligible for a State Council of HigherEducation for Virginia (SCHEV) Transfer Grant which wouldsubstantially reduce their financial burden whenthey transfer
In addition to the Guaranteed Admission Agreements that the Virginia Community College System has with certain school, DSLCC has agreements with the following schools:
- American Public University (APU)
- Bridgewater College
- Eastern Kentucky University (Administration of Justice students only)
- James Madison University
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences (Nursing Students only)
- Old Dominion University (Nursing students only))
- Roanoke College
- Virginia Intermont College
Alsoinformative for Education majors:Pre-Teacher Education Transfer
Without the AA&SDegree, students maynot be eligible for these advantages.
Students planning to transfer to a particular institution should work with both their DSLCC academic advisor and their advisor at the four-year college or university of their choice to assure that all courses taken at DSLCC are applicable to their program of study.