Associate of Arts & Sciences in General Studies
The General Studies program provides the first two years of many four-year college or university majors. A challenging core of requirements is augmented by selected general electives which will be chosen from the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics.
After completing the first two years at DSLCC, the student will be able to transfer into the third year of a four-year college or university.The program takes four semesters or two years of full time study to complete.
Students in this program may wish to pursue a major in one of the following fields when they transfer to a four-year college or university:
- Criminal Justice
- Foreign Language
- Political Science
Advantages for students who complete the Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree and transfer to a four (4)-year state college or university are:
- Eligible for the many Guaranteed Admissions Agreements that the Virginia Community College System has with a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities
- Given priority over those students who have not completed their AA&S Degree
- Considered to have met the lower-division general-education requirements of the state four (4)-year college or university to which they may transfer
- Considered to have attained junior standing at the state four (4) year college or university to which they may transfer
- To the extent possible, given the same opportunities in areas such as course selection, registration, access to campus housing and financial aid as those students who attended their freshman and sophomore years
- Eligible for a State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) Transfer Grant which would substantially reduce their financial burden when they transfer
In addition to the Guaranteed Admission Agreements that the Virginia Community College System has with certain school, DSLCC has agreements with the following schools:
- American Public University (APU)
- Bridgewater College
- Eastern Kentucky University (Administration of Justice students only)
- James Madison University
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences (Nursing Students only)
- Old Dominion University (Nursing students only)
- Roanoke College
- Virginia Intermont College
Also informative for Education majors:Pre-Teacher Education Transfer
Without the AA&S Degree, students may not be eligible for theseadvantages.
Specific course requirements for the Associate in Arts and Sciences degree are intended to provide a balanced foundation in general education which would be appropriate for most majors.
Students planning to transfer to a particular institution should work with both their DSLCC academic advisor and their advisor at the four-year college or university of their choice to assure that all courses taken at DSLCC are applicable to their program of study.