The nurse aide courses cover basic topics important for those who plan to enter the field of health care as an aide providing direct care to patients. The six-credit Health Care Technician (HCT 101 and 102) sequence prepares students to take a certification examination.
This course is designed to help the student gain knowledge in physiological, social and psychological areas that affect the aging population. You will be presented with a core theory including communication, role of the nursing assistant in health care institutions, legal aspects, physical, social and emotional needs of the elderly and safety.
In the clinical area, you will develop skills in care of the elderly patient in a health care institution, including assistance with activities of daily living, meeting emotional, social and spiritual needs, and admission and discharge of patients.
This course is intended to:
- help the student understand the aging process and how it takes place
- help the student understand the needs of patients with some of the disease conditions common to older people
- help the student understand the role of the geriatric nursing assistant in a health care facility
- help the student develop skills necessary to safely assist elderly patients in meeting their needs, including the dying patient
- help the student in developing interpersonal skills in providing care to clients with multiple special needs