The wind energy industry is experiencing a very high growth rate and has the potential for immediate application as a viable component of our country's strategic energy plan. Most states are already actively involved in this industry, and related projects and proposals are now in the development stages in Virginia.
The Wind Turbine Service Technology program prepares individuals for career entry and advancement opportunities in the advanced technology applications of manufacturing and wind energy technologies. The program is designed to prepare students to become Wind Turbine Service Technicians to support the system installation, operation and maintenance needs of the wind energy industry, with capabilities to work in advanced manufacturing and other interdisciplinary technology-based jobs, as well.
Under minimal supervision, graduates of the Wind Energy Turbine Technician Certificate Training Program will be able to:
- Install, test, service and repair utility-scale and small wind turbine systems and components
- Troubleshoot and maintain automated control and PLC systems
- Troubleshoot and maintain Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems
- Perform all job functions in a safe manner in compliance with applicable safety standards
- Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) for climbing and safe wind turbine climbing skills