Dabney S. Lancaster Community College (DSLCC) grants faculty members the right to create personal research- and teaching-focused sites within the limit of available resources. Access to the DSLCC shared web server resources is a privilege, and it is provided with an expectation of responsible and acceptable use. Users who create personal web pages must follow all DSLCC and VCCS policies, and local, state, and federal laws.
Personal pages represent the views and opinions of their authors only. It is necessary to distinguish between the official DSLCC/department websites, which represent the college, and personal web pages, which may contain individual opinions and other content not related to the college.
Your account is for DSLCC teaching and research purposes only. Your account can be suspended, and disciplinary action may be taken, if you use your personal site for commercial purposes.
Principles and Guidelines
The specific principles and guidelines include, but are not limited to the following:
- Authorized users are those individuals for whom user ID (UID) has been approved for this purpose. The UID and password combination is your identity and license to access and use the DSLCC WordPress site for which you are specifically authorized. See Technical Guidelines for more information.
- Authorized users will abide by institutional policies along with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
- Authorized users are responsible for the accuracy of the information published on their personal pages.
- DSLCC does not actively monitor or generally restrict the content of materials published on the faculty personal pages. However, the use of DSLCC resources is a privilege and not a public forum. Therefore, DSLCC reserves the right to restrict or deny usage of the WordPress site when such usage does not support the mission of the VCCS and the Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
- All personal pages should include:
- The author’s name (e.g., “Created by: Author”)
- The ‘last modified’ date
- A link to the DSLCC Personal Page Disclaimer (below)
- Users must adhere to legal and ethical standards governing copyright and intellectual property. Some relevant links are listed below.
- Webpages that advocate hate, hostility, or violence, or contain offensive material, will be referred to the President’s Office for review.
- Be aware of privacy issues. Don’t publish an individual’s contact information or photo on your web site unless you obtain written permission (through the release form, below) beforehand.
- Be respectful of other publishers’ property. While it is easy to copy text, graphics, multimedia files, etc., from other sites, you must have permission from the copyright holder (through the release form, below) to use them on your personal site.
- Be mindful of the user. Avoid graphics that take too long to download. Never use “under construction” pages; if you have any incomplete pages, don’t publish them until you are ready. Avoid long, scrolling pages. Make effective use of links.
Additional Standards and Resources
Assistance to Users
- If you have any questions related to DSLCC standards, processes, and policies, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our offices in Backels Hall.
- Consultation, assistance, and time from DSLCC personnel is provided on a limited basis and as it becomes available. The DSLCC Technical Services office can be reached via email@example.com.
- Themes for DSLCC Faculty sites are available via WordPress. At this time, a limited number of themes are available. If you find a theme that you feel will be more appropriate for your use than those provided, please contact the Website Designer/Developer at firstname.lastname@example.org.