Responsibilities of Guidance Counselors
- Guidance counselors serve as the primary point of contact for the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator in service region high schools and technical centers.
- High school guidance counselors are expected to submit class rosters to the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator within one week before the start of classes each semester. Class rosters are to be submitted to the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator using the Dual Enrollment High School Registration Form. (Appendix I)
- While DSLCC will verify student eligibility with its records, it is the responsibility of each guidance department to ensure all students have met either VPT testing or exemption requirements.
- Keep all dual enrollment student forms (i.e. Permission, Information Release, Co-Attendance, and Freshman/Sophomore forms) organized in a file as they come back complete from dual enrollment instructors. For your convenience, these will be picked up by the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator each semester. (Appendix C)
- Ensure that electronic class rosters are verified by the school principal and sent back to the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator via email in a timely manner. All students must be registered by the end of the add/drop period established each semester.
- Work with the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator and Career Coaches to set up VPT testing dates/DSLCC registration dates at each high school and technical center. The deadline for DSLCC to administer testing at area high schools and technical centers is July 1. After July 1, students who wish to take dual enrollment courses for the upcoming school year must take the VPT either at DSLCC’s main campus or at the Rockbridge Regional Center.
- Assist the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator and/or designated college representative in scheduling classroom observations with the building principal.
- Distribute the student evaluation surveys to appropriate dual enrollment instructors towards the end of each course. These will be mailed to you by the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator. All deadlines expressed in the instructions provided should be strictly adhered to. For your convenience, the surveys will be picked up by the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator or college representative each semester.
- Guidance counselors are expected to meet with the DSLCC Dual Enrollment Coordinator and/or additional DSLCC staff members at least once every semester.