In March 1962, the Virginia General Assembly established Dabney S. Lancaster Community College as a branch of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and became a part of the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) in 1967. The College itself was renamed Dabney S. Lancaster Community College, honoring the prominent Virginia educator and long-time resident of the area served by the College.
DSLCC is a comprehensive public community college and a member of the statewide Virginia Community College System. The College is supported by the Commonwealth of Virginia and the citizens of the counties of Alleghany, Bath, Botetourt (northern portion) and Rockbridge, as well as the cities of Buena Vista, Covington, and Lexington and the town of Clifton Forge, but welcomes students from other areas as well. DSLCC operates under the policies of the State Board for Community Colleges and the Dabney S. Lancaster Community College Board. The College is financed, in part, by state funds and supported by contributions from the service area counties and cities, the federal government, businesses, individuals and student tuition.
Dabney S. Lancaster Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree in Arts and Sciences and the Associate Degree in Applied Sciences.
The College’s service area supports over 1,800 square miles with the DSLCC main campus located one mile west of downtown Clifton Forge and the Rockbridge Regional Center is located at 35 Vista Links Drive in Buena Vista.
The College enrolls over 2,000 students each year in certificate and associate degree programs, providing a wide variety of programs and services in the areas of business, culinary arts and hospitality, advanced manufacturing, forestry, education, criminal justice, welding, massage therapy, information systems, nursing and allied health, wind energy, and emergency medical services.
A goal of DSLCC is to reach out to unite key constituents and do its part to raise the level of educational attainment in the region. The realization of this and other goals supports the overall economic vitality of the region.
About Dabney S. Lancaster
Beginning with the summer quarter in 1967, the College was renamed Dabney S. Lancaster Community College, honoring the prominent Virginia educator and long-time resident of the College’s service area.
Dr. Lancaster began his career as Associate Master of the Chamberlayne School for Boys in Richmond. He was a professor of Agricultural Education at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and became Dean of Men at the University of Alabama in 1923. He served as the Virginia State Superintendent of Public Instruction in 1941 and became President of Longwood College in 1946. In 1955, he became the Chair of the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.
He later retired to Bath County where he served on the school board. Over his lifetime, Dr. Lancaster served on the boards of Madison College (currently James Madison University), Sweet Briar College, Virginia Theological Seminary and Episcopal High School.